Media

BEHOLD THEIR CRAPULENCE: The Age sinks into an abyss of error and trivia

KylieminogueMost of Sunday, The Age’s website led with a rehashed story about the supposed retirement from music of Kylie Minogue, lifted from the London tabloid Sunday Mirror.

It says much about The Age’s digital strategy of click-baiting that it gave so much prominence to a story about Kylie’s retirement and an apparent bust-up with a long-time manager and that the story doesn’t withstand any scrutiny at all. Compare it with the far more sceptical and better-sourced report in News Limited’s sites.

The truth is that Kylie Minogue is currently recording an album (or whatever they’re called these digital days) that will be released this year, according to published reports. It will be her twelfth.

Contrary to the Mirror’s yarn and the The Age’s lifted version, her long-time manager Terry Blamey, around sixty-three years old and the Budgie appear to be on excellent terms, with Kylie lavishly singing his praises after the supposed business bust-up was meant to have occurred.

When The Age print edition dies, as it undoubtedly will soon, many will nostalgically mourn it, but the truth is that the quality those will eulogise mostly died many years ago.

Rehashing a London tab’s mostly false yarn about a singer as the day’s most prominent yarn, without bothering to verify a word of it is surely the final proof.

1. Retire in peace Kylie you have made your millions.

Take a leaf out of Newton-John’s book and head up some push for a cancer or arthritis care specific hospital with the occasional charity concert.

Posted by Kylie Fan | January 14, 2013, 8:45
  2. Sorry Kylie Fan. There’s no ‘rule’ requiring our stars to taken a charitable cause on. It’s great if they do, but equally great if they look after themselves. Besides, when people like Bono saves the world, I can’t help but note the hypocrasy.

Posted by @Rampant111 | January 14, 2013, 11:24
  3. You can have a ride home anytime in my ministerial car Kylie. Txt me.

Posted by RDR | January 14, 2013, 11:55
  4. She’s going back to acting.

Posted by Adrian Jackson | January 14, 2013, 12:34
  5. Their website makes TV Week and That’s Life look like serious journalism, I much prefer the printed version, even if it is getting thinner by the week. Not sure what I’d do without Green Guide.

Posted by Nik emmak | January 14, 2013, 14:33
  6. Love U Kylie! Hate U Fairfax!!!

Posted by wtf | January 14, 2013, 15:57
  7. Or gee she always got ‘Percy’ up and dancing to the beat in her videos.

Posted by Boofa | January 14, 2013, 16:04
  8. Geoffrey isn’t time you were started to think about raising funds for my 2014 Campaign Fundraising? I know we have recently had a little misunderstanding, but if you raise me some needy cash you can have my …. again!

Posted by Wenchy | January 14, 2013, 19:20
  9. Not surprising when many of those running online departments at newspapers are young people with a lack of news sense, who care little for facts and are more interested in barrel-chested bluster to impress their bosses. Newspapers and, by default, online journalism has gone down the pooper.

Posted by CAXTON | January 14, 2013, 20:23
  10. Keeno. Rorts. Lies.

Posted by AKD | January 14, 2013, 23:40
  11. We still have Vex to keep journalism ethical.

Posted by Mysterious and wise | January 16, 2013, 17:38
  12. Again the ‘Herald-Sun’ proves it is a newspaper for right-winged imbeciles and is only worthy to wipe wipe wayward loose stools off your anus, when your out of Sorbent. The targeting of Daniel Andrews today is immoral, unjust and the Journalist deserves to be [deleted] attacked.

Posted by anon | January 16, 2013, 18:13
  13. Good to see that Vexnews has joined with the major media in the fluffy non-news reporting season.

Posted by jusdiss | January 16, 2013, 19:08
  14. thx for all good memories kylie……….

Posted by jimmy | January 16, 2013, 19:35
  15. I’ve just had another great Summer’s dogging & rogering in the Catani Gardens Lavatory.

Posted by Dan Lewis | January 16, 2013, 23:33
  16. The Age is a dead newspaper.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013, 17:34
  17. I can’t even get The Age in Merimbula. This is a major risk to my health.

I use the condescending sanctimonious editorial pages to create a baseline for my hypertension medication by setting the default blood pressure level. Without The Age to infuriate me, I may need to adjust my medication downwards.

It seems the local newsagent will only order as many copies as he has confirmed buyers but he will get a few extra Herald-Sun editions as people come in and buy them. There are plenty of Herald Sun newspapers around in the cafes and coffee shops and even McDonalds. I end up reading Andrew Bolt and feel a calming presence. This is not good.

Posted by Giuseppe De Simone | January 22, 2013, 23:19