COUNTDOWN: Wannon preselection today live from Hamilton

wannonnumbers The Wannon preselection is now underway as at 10am this Sunday morning in Hamilton, deep in the heart of Victoria’s Western Districts, where farmers were once so rich they’d drive their merino sheep around in the Rolls Royce. The world is very different now, but Wannon remains Liberal heartland.

Patriots advise that the preselection convention started at 10 am, with each candidate participating in ten different ten-minute “round tables” where they can interrogated on everything from their personal history, views and favoured brand of sheep-dip. It’s not far off a job interview in a speed-dating style.

Then each candidate will have the chance to present a speech to all the members, with six minutes for the speech and four minutes for questions.

After that trial by ordeal, the members then vote.

Given the large number of candidates, expect a result no earlier than 5pm. We’ll update when news comes to hand.

Patriots tell VEXNEWS the lead prospects are Tehan, Staley, Nockles and Mitchell but in a Melbourne Cup field, surely anything’s possible.

1. Watch this Australia as the Australian Liberal Party takes it’s last dieing breaths……and god bless America!!

Posted by Andrew Rixon | September 13, 2009, 12:23
  2. VEXNEWS investigators report that 352 delegates of the 406 eligible have signed in and have settled down for a day of democracy, intrigue and scones.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 13:45
  3. Who were the strong performers during round tables? I’m guessing it’s lunchtime at the convention?

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 14:03
  4. I was there in the office(104) when Tony Nutt and his right hand man Daniel Tehan gave me the speech about a seat like Kooyong. Anywhere as your aware I won hundred percent of the first round vote, but the the second round Josh got only 20 votes and still won the pre-selection……so theres your fu-cken democracy.

Posted by Andrew Rixon | September 13, 2009, 14:21
  5. Mmmm scones.

Posted by Rationalist | September 13, 2009, 14:23
  6. VEXNEWS investigators report as at 3pm that speeches continue, Tehan, Nockles and Makin all did particularly well. Three more speeches to go then the voting begins.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 15:00
  7. VEXNEWS investigators report as at 3.09pm that the last speech is being given now. Punters now keenly looking forward to voting and afternoon tea, not necessarily in that order.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 15:12
  8. As at 3.17pm, VEXNEWS investigators report particularly favourably on the raspberry and apricot jam, accompanying the excellent scones.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 15:17
  9. How did Staley, Mitchell etc go?

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 15:26
  10. At 3.30pm VEXNEWS investigators report that Louise Staley’s speech was “excellent”, with well-placed Dorothy Dix friendly questions.

Staley allies threw quite a few hostile questions at out-of-town Dan Tehan.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 15:31
  11. What about mitchell and price?

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 16:35
  12. Clark, Matushka, Hugh Koch and Rainsford all eliminated from 1st round, now waiting on count from second.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 16:55
  13. Final result expected around 6pm

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 16:58
  14. Go Louise…you can do it…

Posted by Madam Lash | September 13, 2009, 17:04
  15. Good grief Lash, let it go. It’s over.

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 17:21
  16. Can you feel the drama?

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 17:59
  17. Any word on how Mitchell and Price went during speeches? They haven’t had a mention yet…

Posted by anon | September 13, 2009, 18:10
  18. How can the people of Wannon not pre-select a man with the name Hugh Koch? Every cartoonist and scribe in the country must be spitting chips right about now.

Posted by Wannonski | September 13, 2009, 18:11
  19. Poor Hugh, how did he even make it through school?

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 18:14
  20. As at 5.29pm Price eliminated

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:31
  21. As at 5.33pm counting being done on 3rd round.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:33
  22. As at 5.34pm Price and Nockles out. Makin, Mitchell, Staley and Tehan left standing.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:36
  23. Will the long day grow into a night of the long knives?

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:37
  24. Suspense is killing me. Makin has done well to still be in. No surprise it is Tehan, Mitchell, Staley… although I’m wondering if the drink driving question has been asked?

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 18:42
  25. How’s the NSW factional battle going?

Posted by Interested | September 13, 2009, 18:42
  26. why does it take Tony Nutt so long to count votes?

All the preselections he has overseen have taken for ever to count.

Each round should take 15mins. 20mins to deal with old people. Why is it taking 30mins per round

Posted by Anon | September 13, 2009, 18:46
  27. 4th round counting underway

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:48
  28. Staley eliminated.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:59
  29. what !!!!
    you mean no hugh koch for the libs
    i guess they will have to rely on his relative and leader
    soft koch

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2009, 18:59
  30. Staley eliminated as at 5.57pm

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 18:59
  31. GO MITCHELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 19:00
  32. GOODBYE MADAM LASH AND HER FRIEND MADAM LUSH!

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 19:01
  33. Makin, tehan and Mitchell. And then there was three.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 19:02
  34. 5th round count now underway

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 19:03
  35. Identifying what’s left of Bravo company…….Mitchell, Tehan……give me something Johnny!!

Posted by Andrew Rixon | September 13, 2009, 19:05
  36. Staleys supporters won’t vote for Tehan that’s for sure..

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 19:07
  37. Staley has been eliminated???
    Yesssssssssss!!!
    Suck on that John Roskam and Tim Wilson, and every other IPA loser.

Posted by Staley out??? | September 13, 2009, 19:10
  38. IPA what’s that stand for???

Posted by Andrew Rixon | September 13, 2009, 19:24
  39. Matkin out. Final round between Tehan and Mitchell.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 19:28
  40. You’re doing a great job Vex. Go Mitchell!

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 19:29
  41. Tehan has come so close yet so far before, narrowly missing out in Indi and other preselection drama. The result is due shortly…

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 19:32
  42. Dan Tehan wins

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 19:48
  43. How disappointing…

Posted by wannonfan | September 13, 2009, 19:51
  44. Another bland boffin in Canberra, what a joke. Henderson in Corang was a good choice. Tehan in Wannon is disaster. Wannon Libs are done and dusted, look out for strong ALP candidate who’ll preference Nats. Wannon is blue no more.

Posted by anonski | September 13, 2009, 20:01
  45. Can’t believe they voted the preselection king over Mitchell. What is wrong with the Liberals? I won’t be voting for Dan-iwannabeaman-Tehan.

Posted by LoserLibs | September 13, 2009, 20:05
  46. no way jose’! he will not have my vote, something is very very wrong with the libs

Posted by anon | September 13, 2009, 20:28
  47. Thank you so much to all VEXNEWS investigators, contributors and commentators today. Thanks to your efforts, VEXNEWS is first with the news.

Posted by VEXNEWS | September 13, 2009, 20:37
  48. Its not that theres something wrong with the libs its that there aer no young people in wannon branches. none. zip. zero. tehan was voted in by the blue rinse set that will go with what napthine and his henchmen tell them. don’t assume that becase tehan gave a great speech is why he won. it was a blue rinse pack mentality and that will be the death of wannon. hawker had no focus on getting new blood into branches and that will be his legacy. its all bad news for waannon

Posted by wannon insider | September 13, 2009, 20:38
  49. Wannon insider I for one think your right, it’s all bad news for the Australian Liberal Party. That’s why I’ve decided to run for pre-selection for Bradfield, N.S.W. Some will say that it’s out of Andrew Rixon’s league but those are the same people that wrote me off in Kooyong, which I won fair and square and was cheated out of. But be advised if I shouldn’t win pre-section for Bradfield I will stand as an independent candidate. If I am to scared to leave Victoria to stand for pre-selection then what hope have I got attempting to run the Liberal Party and Australia.
    I hope I have all of your support VEXNEWS Readers, wish me luck on my endeavor.

Posted by Andrew Rixon | September 13, 2009, 20:52
  50. I completely Agree.

I voted against tehan at every interval. Its simply the stupid people in our party! Daniel Tehan WILL NOT be getting my support. And alot more will not support him aswell i think.

It was suprising to see Rainsford and Koch go out in the first round aswell.

Daniel Tehan, although I shook you’re hand, trust me I will stab you in the back. The LAST thing we need is Another David Hawker. The ALP will win Wannon, or have a damned good chance of Winning it.

And Yes, I spoke to Dennis aswell. And His little staffer Nathan. They are such dicks.

Its SOOOOOO Frustrating!- Why can’t this Party ever pick somebody who is not the typical stereotype Liberal. Somebody who will actually appeal to the wider electorate!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dark Horse | September 14, 2009, 0:08
  51. andrew rixon – the new definition of loon

Posted by Cancerous Cell | September 14, 2009, 4:13
  52. I am just SO PLEASED Price and Nockles were ditched so early. Maybe now they will go and look for some real jobs they have a chance of getting!

Posted by Insider 101 | September 14, 2009, 22:50
  53. As a resident of Wannon, I have to say David Hawker has been a half decent MP. While he may not have ever been a minister or leader, I recon he has fulfilled his duties in Wannon pretty well. However, I think bringing in some political hack from Hawthorn will backfire. Wannon has been Labor before, 50 odd years ago I admit, it could well become somewhat marginal I feel – blam which will go directly to those in charge of the Liberal Party.

Posted by politicalrealist | September 17, 2009, 21:22
  54. Hi Wannon insider, there is that Dick McCracken from Beaufort. If he’s the future of the Liberal Party then …….

Posted by politicalrealist | September 17, 2009, 21:24