Takedowns

NASTY: Big end of town sponsors vile Barbie abduction postcard

sickabductionjoke The Catholic Church Jesuits’ Order, Westpac bank and the Victorian government have all sponsored the ‘Artful Dodgers’ studio in Melbourne’s inner-city suburb of Fitzroy that has produced a chilling postcard of a bound and gagged child’s Barbie doll styled to look like a victim of abduction.

The postcard is being distributed in a groovy inner-city cafe in Fitzroy populated by Triple J listeners and hipsters.

The card is clearly calculated to shock and does so by glamourising – in a highly inappropriate way – a very serious crime. While probably not the young artist’s intention, it would also potentially disturb children who play with the popular doll. Millions of Barbies are sold every year, around the world, despite the emergence of the edgier Bratz.

The young artist was not pursuing an original thought either, with the internet full of ‘bondage Barbies’ and other sexualised presentations of the child’s doll.

“While some consider it amusing to put such a powerful symbol of childhood innocence in a disturbing environment, it’s just the artistic equivalent of Derryn Hinch in the old days, a desperate grab for attention with something controversial. That it involves defiling a popular children’s toy is clearly just part of the fun by an artist who didn’t think about consequences and arts programme with woefully inadequate supervision,” an arts critic told VEXNEWS on condition of anonymity.

The principal sponsor of the postcard was not immediately available for comment.

birdmaneating barbiecard

1. Who cares?

Posted by Stooge | October 19, 2010, 10:23
  2. Hard up for content then are we?

I guess when it comes to art (as with most things) Vexnews totally misses the point and turns rabid because it can, rather then because it should.

Posted by Vexnewbs can’t hack The Greens | October 19, 2010, 10:32
  3. Does Peter Slipper have one of these postcards?

Posted by we need more slippers | October 19, 2010, 10:38
  4. Seriously, Vexnews, did you have nothing better to write about?

Posted by RJ | October 19, 2010, 11:35
  5. Sometimes, Vex, your outrage is merited. Other times it is confected…a Bill Henson scandal this is not.

Posted by Ronnie | October 19, 2010, 13:46
  6. Your tax dollars at work!

No doubt Red Ted would approve.

Posted by The Truth | October 19, 2010, 16:33
  7. No great issue here. Let’s move on to important things.

Posted by Walter Plinge | October 19, 2010, 19:16
  8. Ah I do like it when Parliament I go all weak at the knees and get hot flushes watching all those powerful men in the Chamber.

Posted by Pissy Chryne | October 19, 2010, 22:57
  9. Pissy, we should meet up. Good times to be had by all.

Posted by Laigy Cangdon | October 19, 2010, 23:30
  10. Hey lay off my girlfriend will you. She is just doing a bit of role playing. I’ts a game we play when were are having fun.

Posted by Ken | October 20, 2010, 0:55
  11. Looks like the sort of ‘art’ you see in Year 12 exhibitions.
    “Innovative and creative” – not.

Posted by Gregoryno6 | October 20, 2010, 13:53
  12. This scandal has Rapke’s fingerprints all over it. What would St Mary of the Cross think of this?

Posted by Giuseppe De Simone | October 21, 2010, 7:29
  13. What Barbie and Ken get up to in the privacy of their own home should not be made public…… or indeed be ammo for a public forum…… What will be next…. The TWU and their nights out at the Hellfire Club ! We need to respect peoples privacy more.

Posted by Southern Charmer | October 22, 2010, 15:25
  14. I think one of your advertisements triggered my web browser to resize, you may well want to put that on your blacklist.

Posted by Eye Strain | October 29, 2010, 12:09
  15. I just added this webpage to my feed reader, excellent stuff. Can’t get enough!

Posted by Christina Hendricks | October 30, 2010, 22:08
  16. Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I’m more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful well let me know how it turns out! I love what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

Posted by vigrx | October 31, 2010, 1:29
  17. Bathrooms are not just for utility purposes in today’s lifestyle. This is the place you can set your mood for the day ahead or comfort and relax you at the day’s end. Depending on your decorating style this room can be sleek, polished, sophisticated or sparkle like a diamond.

Posted by Beaumont Isidore | November 1, 2010, 13:27