Labor

THE DEAL: We reveal the secret deal between Labor Unity and the Left

vexnewsplaceholder11It’s not the most exciting document and the ever-efficient Rick Wallace at The Australian had it days ago, but we’ve obtained a copy of an unsigned final draft of the agreement between Labor Unity’s leaders and their opponents in the Victorian Socialist Left.

We’ve commented on it enough probably the most important point is its protections for sitting MPs who have served less than four terms or are on the front-bench.

It’s not a deal full of vengeance or unpleasantness. The most contentious aspects of it are not so much in the document itself but the fact that it was negotiated without consultation between warring parts of the Right. It was a response to a situation without precedent in the Labor Unity group, where two of its largest unions were seen to be acting in concert to exclude many of the group’s most senior figures from decision-making.

We get the distinct impression that there is a strong mood for reconciliation and stability after an initial burst of enthusiasm from those excluded by the deal to attempt to unravel it by pursuing deals with shadowy Socialist Left union militants.

Anyway, here’s the document. Enjoy

1. The losers are the Fergs and the non-aligned. They are guaranteed their existing seats but no others. The really big loser is the non-aligned. Comrade Trezise is guaranteed in Geelong, but if he declines to stand the seat goes to LU.

Mr Dearricott won’t be too happy and neither he should.

What about some of the hopeless MPs who are guaranteed preselection?

The Libs must be laughing.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2009, 19:46
  2. Oh bother I am now futher doen the Poop Shoot.

Posted by Eric Eeriecott | January 22, 2009, 19:48
  3. Fergs are way over-represented anyway. You couldn’t give them anymore. Trezise is protected but this is likely to make him stay on well past his use by date, because he won’t want the seat to go the right. The people it really protects are those who having done three terms, should go. That’s were it guarantees the state caucus to continue declining in ability and talent. Guaranteeing that if we manage to win in 2010, then we will almost certainly be in a bad place in 2014. And does Carr, Conroy, Shorten and Griffin care if the state caucus declines and goes into opposition – I don’t think so.

Posted by Committee for Truth | January 22, 2009, 20:00
  4. has sean leane been clipped?

Posted by by bye | January 22, 2009, 20:56
  5. Mikakos boned.

Posted by Anon | January 22, 2009, 21:20
  6. Mikakos has an ego like any you’ve ever seen. And a hide like a rhinocerous. She aint too popular with the Turkish community. Wonder how many Turks there are in the present SL?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2009, 22:55
  7. Strange that. Some Greeks think she’s a Turk.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2009, 22:55
  8. Committee for Truth | January 22, 2009, 20:00
    I dont think the Fergs wanted more anyway.

You make a good point re renewal in the state caucus – by 2010 some folk would have served 3 terms and deserve no more, but will now be protected. That i think is the deal’s biggest weakness, bringing in talented newcommers in 2014 could well be too late

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2009, 23:18
  9. Mikakos is behave good so live her alone.She is comrade.She must have a second chance.Turks n Greeks are friends.

Posted by Western Front | January 23, 2009, 0:03
  10. there is no issue with the greeks and turks atm.. people like mikakos and vanvakniou are our friends… dont worry comrads we will protect you!

Posted by western bulldogs | January 23, 2009, 9:27
  11. I notice very interestingly that Marlene’s fax number is top this document… very smart move Marlene you bimbo

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2009, 9:39
  12. woops. Should probably delete my fax number before leaking documents. Oh well, back to Harvard.

Posted by only the nose knows | January 23, 2009, 9:41
  13. marlene you should set up the date setings on your fax! your in 2006

Posted by da nose | January 23, 2009, 9:43
  14. I can’t, thinking makes me dizzy. Besides, technology is the work of the devil.

Posted by only the nose knows | January 23, 2009, 9:57
  15. Me like the agreement very much

Posted by Power to SL | January 23, 2009, 9:59
  16. Please leave me alone im trying to survive

Posted by Marlene Kanose | January 23, 2009, 10:08
  17. I am important too remember

Posted by Biscuit Tin Seitz | January 23, 2009, 10:19
  18. Biscuit Tin Seitz you are welcome to join our faction

Posted by CHSU | January 23, 2009, 10:21
  19. I am too important to be in a faction. Also I like toasted sandwiches.

Posted by Biscuit Tin Seitz | January 23, 2009, 10:22
  20. it wasnt me it was big fat Boooohan

Posted by Marlene KaNOSE | January 23, 2009, 10:23
  21. i love bingo money

Posted by Biscuit Tin Seitz | January 23, 2009, 10:24
  22. ARE YoU tHe BRaIn SpeCiAlist?

Posted by Genghis Khanose | January 23, 2009, 10:25
  23. It wasn’t me kaNOSE I’m too busy preparing my big challenge in Calwell which is long overdue. I’m hoping by the time I reach 60 I can finally make my move

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2009, 10:38
  24. You young rudderless hippies with your hulla-hoops and pacman should show a little respect to your elders. Back when I was a whipper snapper in 19 nought 5 I used to walk four score and 3 miles just to fetch a pail of milk. Course is them days it was called cow juice not milk, anyway….

Posted by George 'Cup and Ball' Seitz | January 23, 2009, 10:42
  25. Assumptions that the fax number on this document reveals the source of who supplied to us are completely false otherwise of course we would have deleted it.

The document is in wide circulation, as we noted in the article and was not supplied by Ms Kairouz or anyone associated with her.

Posted by VEXNEWS | January 23, 2009, 10:46