THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS: Jamie Briggs pushing to remove Ian MacFarlane and Kevin Andrews

briggs After coming very close to knocking off the Labor government, the first signs of tension are bubbling over in Coalition ranks today with Liberals concerned about pushy young buck Jamie Briggs backgrounding media along the lines that Ian MacFarlane and Kevin Andrews ought to be pushed off the front-bench to make way for Ambition Faction members like himself.

The VEXNEWS Investigations Unit have discovered many Liberals are gathering around MacFarlane and Andrews, pointing to their vital role in the Liberals’ mostly very successful Abbott leadership.

Macca’s many defenders reckon he played a vital role in holding together the occasionally fractious merged LNP and providing air cover to support Queensland campaign director James McGrath’s highly effective ground-war.

Andrews is regarded as completely safe by party insiders also despite the attacks by Briggs due to his instrumental role in ending the madness of Malcolm Turnbull and killing off Liberal support for Labor’s carbon tax scheme.

He also played a vital role in the policy development process and has been central to sharpening the Question Time/House tactics approach of the Coalition since Abbott’s elevation to the leadership.

Others are looking at Tony Smith’s position and saying he underperformed. We think this is a bit harsh given that he was operating under severe policy constraints as a result of Andrew Robb’s successful nobbling of the Shadow Cabinet support for the NBN.

Briggs himself was an all-the-way backer of Malcolm Turnbull including his position on climate change, Liberal insiders charge and should not be promoted purely because he’s impatient, they say.

His coffee-drinking buddy Alex Hawke would do well to steer clear of the ambitious Briggs, insiders say for fear that the Leader’s office will reach conclusions that those who sip latte together, plot together.

1. Jamie, u r so so so so so mediocre

Posted by BLAH | September 14, 2010, 15:36
  2. Briggs’ ego is as huge as his ample girth. The only thing is that he forgets that he hasn’t achieved anything since entering parliament – unless you count insulting a dead war hero during his parliamentary eulogy. His colleagues consider him a political lightweight and a leaker.

Posted by The man who ate Mayo | September 14, 2010, 15:37
  3. What a dick brain. I met him once and wanted to smack the prat. He clearly hasn’t realised that you need to do something to actually be worthy of promotion. Being a complete wanker isn’t enough, if it was then Briggs would be Prime Minister.

Posted by Mayonnaise | September 14, 2010, 15:46
  4. I’m right and I am clutching the rosary beads.

Posted by Kevin Andrews | September 14, 2010, 15:48
  5. If there was a world championship for being boring and stupid then Briggs would win hands down.

Posted by Family First Bob | September 14, 2010, 15:59
  6. You have to seriously wonder about these Hawke like characters

Posted by Confused | September 14, 2010, 16:07
  7. Jamie i am your fan

Posted by earl of wentworth | September 14, 2010, 16:10
  8. Jamie – you have been exposed as my unreliable source – meet me @ Aussies to discuss with Alex

Posted by peter van pleasedripfeedme | September 14, 2010, 16:12
  9. OMG haven’t met Jamie Briggs but have met Alex Hawke … they sound sooo much alike.

If Jamie is a man NOT of his word and an experienced backstabber (as is Alex) then the party has a good chance of collapsing from within.

Advice to opposition MPs …. watch your backs!

Posted by stormy days ahead | September 14, 2010, 16:15
  10. I repeat, my former staffer Tommy Tudehope never produced that Hitler Youtube clip. He was never arrested for drink driving. He is not even related to that 62 year old who’s running for preselection in Baulkham Hills.

Posted by Malcolm Turfbull | September 14, 2010, 16:19
  11. I repeat, my former staffer Tommy Tudehope never produced that Hitler Youtube clip. He was never arrested for drink driving. He is not even related to that 62 year old who’s running for preselection in Baulkham Hills.

Posted by Malcolm Turfbull | September 14, 2010, 16:19
  12. Jamie is my friend. If any of you say something nasty about him I’ll put my full power into sorting you out. Didn’t you see what I did to Clarke…that should be a lesson to you all. I can also call the police if I don’t like what you are doing

Posted by Hork Eye | September 14, 2010, 16:31
  13. Shit JB.
    No we have to hang at the Trough until this blows over.
    I pretty sure the beef strog there is why Macca sounds like he swallowed the simpson desert.

Posted by AHork | September 14, 2010, 16:31
  14. My nagging of Tony paid off!! I get a shadow portfolio in Waste Watch! Thanks Tone – Alex is so jealous!!!

Posted by Yay for me | September 14, 2010, 17:16
  15. Peter – Jamie’s my unreliable source of self serving Liberal Party rumours – keep your hands off!!

Posted by Michelle Graytion | September 14, 2010, 17:33
  16. Jamie will have to watch himself as he is a waste of space.

Although judging by his fat guts he is a human garbage disposal unit so perhaps we can just feed him whatever we don’t want.

Posted by Waist Watcher | September 14, 2010, 18:45
  17. And the award for the most under-performing, most hated MP in Canberra by both sides of politics, the media, and the general public goes to…. ALEX HAWKE.

Alex, you have not been promoted to the Shadow Ministry due to intense lobbying against you by the people who you sought to go out and attack and destroy.

You should remember that if you go out of your way to screw people over, attempt to destroy them in the media, cause embarrassment for them, and come after them using your parliamentary privilege, that those people will eventually come back at you all guns blazing, ready to fight you, ready to destroy you.

If you think this fight is over yet mate, you have another thing coming.

We are going to continue to drag you through the media, leak sensitive details of your past to the media, and make your life hell, through the media.

Be prepared for a sustained campaign against you. It will come and hit you when you least expect it, and it will come down on you and your supporters like a tonne of bricks. We will get you, eventually…

Posted by Connected to the Darby's | September 14, 2010, 18:57
  18. Kevin Andrews has his hobby horses (assisted euthanasia) but he’s my local member — and he’s staying.

Posted by Walter Plinge | September 14, 2010, 19:36
  19. Oh James, what an embarrassment you have become. Not only did you eat your mother out of house and home but your choice of friends is downright offensive. I know you like to hang out with Joe Hockey to make you look thin but hanging with Alex Hawke only makes you look dumb. We always knew you didn’t have much upstairs but why oh why let the rest of the world know it? Get off the booze, get some new friends and stop trying to big note yourself everywhere.

Posted by Mr Biggs | September 14, 2010, 21:06
  20. Jamie Briggs is disliked intensely by everyone who ever worked with him – to the same extent that he has been disloyal to everyone for whom he ever worked. When you have no talent, and no core beliefs, there is only one thing you can do: be destructive about everyone about you. He conned Downer and Howard to get pre-selected, but is being found out. Now he has waste watch. Quite appropriate. Just ask Guy Barnett. In the meantime, Andrews and MacFarlane, who have both been through more battles than they can count, have spat him out without even giving him the dignity of recognition. Nothing like a mutual enemy to unite people! I could go on, but finally, anyone who places their trust in Peter Van O in Canberra demonstrates their utter immaturity. Partisan commentators like P v O and Christian K – funnily enough both writing for the Oz – don’t share basic conservative values, but hoodwink desperadoes like Jamie into an intrigue of mutual promotion. Peter tells people in Canberra that Jamie he can be PM! Most new MPs have enough self-awareness to detect bullshit. Not the member for Mayo, whose world in mired in it. Andrew, you should start a monitor on media bullshit. Peter Van O could be the first entry on the crap detector list.

Posted by Eugene | September 15, 2010, 0:09
  21. Jamie, please stop calling me. Please stop.

Just because I once wrote a story about you supporting Turnbull doesn’t mean I want to talk to you every single goddam day.

Jamie, please stop. You’re freaking me out.

Posted by SLewis | September 15, 2010, 0:20
  22. No doubt about it; Briggs has some obvious attributes – pity that he hides them so often. But where he has lost many people, including those who originally had an open mind about him, is his none-too-clever; indeed quite obvious amateur attempts to “white-ant” senior and proven Cabinet Ministers. And for what higher purpose; his own self-serving and narcicsistic ends.

No-one decries his ambition; fair enough. But the sooner he learns to be “a team player” and NOT just a malcontent and “stirrer’, the better his chances of long-lasting promotion may become. He now has a chance to cast those childish actions aside, and create his own presence by performing. Let’s reserve judgment and see just how mature he will become. After all, he doesn’t want to end up spending more time “driving and arranging truck itineries”; one suspects.

Posted by Only Team Players Wanted | September 15, 2010, 2:58
  23. Who Am I –

I am fat and have no real friends.

Journalists pretend to like me while I feed them stories about people I pretend are my friends.

I follow Joe Hockey around pretending to be his numbers man but forget he has lost numbers while I have been doing them for him.

I contact John Howard about every problem and then tell everyone that he is my source of wisdom and supports me.

The people of Mayo wish they had chosen someone else to be their member.

Posted by Who Am I | September 15, 2010, 5:47
  24. ‘Connected to the Darby’s’ message before is actually quite accurate. Apparently there is deep bitterness and resentment in the NSW division over Alex Hawke. So much so that Tony is furious with Hawke for coordinating with Nick Campbell the delay in the selection of candidates for the election. Nick Campbell as President held-up and delayed the process because of his factional motives. So while Hawke might talk about sucking on Bubble O Bill’s with his staff in his electorate office, the general consensus in the Party room is that Hawke should be cut loose as a member, and made to suck on something he wont be able to handle, and no, that’s not a Bubble O Bill that people are talking about either!

Rumours have spread through the press gallery that there is a deep mistrust between Tony Abbott and Alex Hawke, and that the relationship has become “poisonous”. And while Tony declares that he holds all of his colleagues in high esteem, people note that Tony loathes and detests having to talk to, and having placate and intervene in the factional war that has rocked the NSW division.

Tony has also floated the idea of moving Alex Hawke on from his seat to effectively “end” the sideshow that has done great damage to the Liberal Party, and wants to see a change in attitude from Barry O’Farrell (towards Hawke), and a replacement for Mark Neeham, who he also frequently mentions is a “yes” man to Nick Campbell.

And lastly, Tony is not impressed with one of his own locals from the Northern Beaches, who happens to be the current President of the NSW Division, Natasha McLaren. So annoyed at McLaren’s incompetence during the campaign, Mr Abbott had apparently turned his back on McLaren on election night, and refused to speak directly with her during the campaign. Mr Abbott sees McLaren as part of the Hawke/Campbell faction and quietly moves to anger when he sees her number flash up on his mobile, which he ignores (according to senior staff in Mr Abbott’s office).

So Tony will be seeking and wanting to move McLaren on as well, as soon as possible. Tony does not want to have to deal with a former nobody, turned political hack, with shocking interpersonal, and bad communication skills. He doesn’t want to have to deal with McLaren at a State level either, and has questioned whether she was the right choice to enter the NSW Upper House.

So the writing is on the wall for lots of people in the Liberal Party in NSW. When will Tony get his wish to put a broom through the NSW division? When will people like McLaren and Hawke admit to their past bad behaviour and gracefully ‘walk the plank’? When will people like Andrew Gibbs openly admit to being in a relationship with Damien Jones? And when will Alex Hawke actually be disciplined by the party? When will people like David Elliott have their past lives as ‘philanderers’ exposed?

Posted by Pure Toxic | September 15, 2010, 5:54
  25. Is Jamie still drinking? When will the silly boy ever learn, after all he has a family now.

Posted by Former Drinking Buddy | September 15, 2010, 10:07
  26. I support Damian Tudehope’s seventh attempt to enter public office.

His son Thomas was an excellent media advisor who had a wonderful command of the english language and knowledge of German history.

Damian, it does not matter which party you belong to, whether it be the DLP, the Family Alliance, Australians Against Further Immigration or the Nationals, I believe you will make a positive contribution for the Liberal Party in the seat of Castle Hill. Oh, um, I’m sorry, I understand you are also running for the seat of Baulkham Hills? Look, I’m sure you will be able to make a positive contribution in that seat as well…..If it doesn’t work out, there’s also another preselection in Vaucluse that I could offer you a reference for?

Posted by Malcolm Turfbull | September 15, 2010, 10:16
  27. Jamie, thanks for your offer to be my numbers man in a leadership spill last week, but I’m really not interested in challening.

Maybe next time mate.

Posted by Big Joe | September 15, 2010, 10:39
  28. Hawke approached me during his uni days seeking me to branch stack in the Castle Hill area. I immediately didn’t like him, he didn’t seem sincere and was a power driven egomaniac. I warned senior liberals not to use them to branch stack, I was proven right when he stabbed Mr Cadman in the back.

Posted by Chris | September 15, 2010, 12:21
  29. nick haggart from road rules extreme will be joinning the cast of days of our lives nick haggart will be playing as chad woods in days of our lives nick haggart from road rules extreme will be replacing actor casey deidrick in days of our lives billy miller from the young and the restless / nick haggart from road rules extreme will be in hollywood knights as the new chad woods in days of our lives

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 13:06
  30. nick haggart from road rules extreme will joinning the cast of days of our lives nick haggart will be playing as chad woods in days of our lives nick haggart from road rules extreme will be replacing actor casey deidrick in days of our lives billy miller from the young and the restless / nick haggart from road rules extreme will be in hollywood knights as the new chad woods in days of our lives

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 13:09
  31. eric roberts will guest star to csi eric roberts will be playing as hector carneiro in csi eric roberts will guest star to csi ny eric roberts will be playing as jorge paulin in csi ny

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 13:20
  32. eric roberts will guest star to csi eric roberts will be playing as hector carneiro in csi

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 13:22
  33. eric roberts will guest star to csi ny eric roberts will be playing as jorge paulin in csi ny

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 13:23
  34. Jamie, I know I said I’d promote you if I won the leadership, but Shadow Treasurer is asking a bit much.

Mate, be realistic.

Posted by Big Joe | September 15, 2010, 15:13
  35. Pure Toxic – is that true about David Elliot?

I’m not an Alex fan, so therefore not a fan of David (hate to think what dirty work David had to

If it is true I hope the preselectors become aware of it before Thursday’s preselection for Baulkham Hills.

The family’s in that electorate will not be happy if it is true and he is preselected.

I understand that to be a candidate for the liberal party that you have to sign a form to say you have done nothing that will embarass the party.

Posted by not an alex fan | September 15, 2010, 17:03
  36. Watch out Jamie I’m about to rip out a huge fart.

Posted by Big Joe Windbag | September 15, 2010, 17:17
  37. Jamie’s head is too big for his body. I know he is fat but the size of his head makes him look a bit deformed. Has he ever had a doctor examine if there is a chemical dysfunction causing his head to be abnormally large?

Posted by Keen Observer | September 15, 2010, 17:34
  38. amelia heinle will guest star to rookie blue amelia heinle will be playing as denise allan in rookie blue

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 22:00
  39. amelia heinle will guest star to rookie blue amelia heinle will be playing as denise allan in rookie blue

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 22:01
  40. WHAT ABOUT ME, ALEX AND NICK???????

YOU PROMISED ME A SEAT!!!!

Posted by Miles | September 15, 2010, 22:04
  41. THAD LUCKINBILL WILL GUEST STAR TO ROOKIE BLUE THAD LUCKINBILL WILL BE PLAYING AS CHARLIE DRAKE IN ROOKIE BLUE

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 22:07
  42. thad luckinbill will guest star to rookie blue thad luckinbill will be [playing as charlie drake in rookie blue

Posted by frank | September 15, 2010, 22:18
  43. LOL

“Natasha McLaren is also believed to be having questions asked of her personal life, with many people in the party regarding her marriage to Damian Jones a complete fake and sham marriage designed to improve her standing amongst Party members. Sources cite her ‘a-sexual’ attitude towards both sexes during her Young Liberal days, and her husbands outright homosexual attitudes towards life, and his “too close for comfort” friendships with people like Andrew Gibbs, who are openly gay as the reason for this.”

At last someone has had the guts to say it! We all knew it, but this sham has gone on without anyone asking a question about it. I wonder why?

Posted by Brain for rent | September 16, 2010, 0:08
  44. burrpppppppp…..my Dad wants to take the Liberal Party to court….burrppppp

Posted by Tommy Tudehope | September 16, 2010, 0:12
  45. Note to self: I must tell my “Toxic” son Jerome not to write on VexNews so often.

Posted by Gregory Eugene Smith MP | September 16, 2010, 0:13
  46. I can believe this…

“David Elliott was two-timing on his wife when he was CEO of the AHA, and regularly checked in to a Sydney hotel to have sex during the day with a female colleague. It was wide knowledge around the AHA that Mr Elliott led this double life. And it seriously contradicts his statement that he’s a “family man” and cares about “traditional family values” running in a seat that frowns upon and has a deep feeling of contempt towards people with such gutter like attitudes towards life.”

When will the media pick up on this, and actually report on this?

Posted by Wheels of justice | September 16, 2010, 0:15
  47. Damian Tudehope is just like me!

Posted by David Barker | September 16, 2010, 0:36
  48. Has anybody seen my hair?

Posted by T Abrams | September 16, 2010, 11:41
  49. Mayo is a relatively safe seat so lets start finding a good candidate for preselection.

Posted by let's preselect early | September 16, 2010, 17:47
  50. But what about ME!

I’m originally from Adelaide. I can run for Mayo preselection. I would make a great representative with a capital R.

Nick, Alex, can you organise it for me. You promised.

Posted by Miles | September 16, 2010, 20:14
  51. could someone pass me a calculator? I’m having some trouble adding up to the number four…

Posted by Damian Tudedope | September 17, 2010, 1:30
  52. burrppppppppppppppp……..burrppppppppppppppp……vomit….burrpppppppp

Posted by Tommy Tudehope | September 17, 2010, 1:36
  53. I’m so glad I convinced Barry to support me for my upper house preselection. He bought the ‘peace & stability’ story hook, line & sinker.

Now that I’m around for another few years I can haul the party through the courts, waste everyone’s time & money, and generally just carry on trying to legitimize myself while everyone else is just trying to defeat the Labor party.

I bet Barry’s glad he backed me now, I’m a star performer and still making headlines!

Posted by Man Of Peace | September 17, 2010, 9:51
  54. To ‘Man of Peace’ – are you referring to David or Alex?

Both have used the ‘peace & stability’ line.

Neither are to be believed.

Posted by Sick of the Factions | September 17, 2010, 10:18
  55. Miles, I will organise a preselection for you, but not until after the election has been called. I am a respected party strategist. It is strategies such as these that have earned me this respect.

Posted by Shambles | September 17, 2010, 10:31
  56. Surprised not to see anything out of Pissy yet

Posted by The real confused | September 17, 2010, 11:40
  57. http://www.news.com.au/national/tony-abbott-blames-election-defeat-on-nsw/story-e6frfkvr-1225925650962

NSW to blame for election loss, says Tony…

Well done boys, we’ve done it again!

Posted by The Truth | September 18, 2010, 8:01
  58. Jamie Briggs is a liar and a loser. He has fooled many with his platitudes but they are waking up to him. I am in his electorate and Liberal members think he is a complete knob whom they tolerate while waiting for Downer Jr to put his hand up. Obese, egotistical and a liar…why did the liberals choose him?

Posted by Monty Burns | September 18, 2010, 20:56
  59. I love you, Monty – Mayo needs you. Hopefully Downer IV is not a knob – he should do the jackarooing thing like Frydenberg!!

Posted by Dynasty | September 19, 2010, 11:24
  60. Downer IV is a knob. Much like the man he hopes to replace he is also obese, hugely egotistical and a habitual liar. Oh, and makes the Duchess of Sturt look rather butch.

Posted by Downey | September 22, 2010, 17:38
  61. All of you need to get a life. Can’t believe the way you sit at a computer dishing up dirt on people.

Go for a walk, or do some sport.

Posted by First time reader | September 23, 2010, 0:04