Media

PROTESTS TOO MUCH: Lefty Jonathan Green insists his & ABC’s journalism is unbiased

jonathangreenleftyJonathan Green is far from the most odious of the ABCistas. But his insistence that his form of lefty journalism is impartial and all-knowing and that conservatives are ignorant and corrupted by propagandising is tiresome and clearly contradicted by the evidence.

Champion of elite private schools, strident lefty Jonathan Green’s insistence that he and the ABC are entirely without bias and are merely interested in informing the nation without fear or favour.

Why he can’t grow up a little and admit that everyone has a perspective that s/he or brings to news reporting and commentary whether it be party political or even just ideological? In terms of party politics, VEXNEWS is an equal opportunity slagger but we certainly have more sympathy for political centrists than for the lunatic extremes of left and right and hopefully give expression to that. We’re pro-democracy so we favour the US and Israel over Iran and North Korea and China. These are biases and they are nothing of which people should be ashamed.

And yet Green insists it’s all different in his case and in that of the ABC.

He lists the biased that he sees as offending him: Fox News, The Australian and notes in his unbiased way “S-bends of ill-humour like the Daily Telegraph’s Tim Blair, or great vaulted Taj Mahals of polished ego like the Herald Sun’s Andrew Bolt.”

MATTHEW 7:3
Does that not show off his own rather passionately expressed anti-conservative bias? Tim Blair – even those who disagree with his world-view would concede – is sometimes incredibly funny, an Aussie combination of Mark Steyn an PJ O’Rourke, showing a strong sense of humour. Andrew Bolt – those who know him well say – is a self-effacing, kind-to-colleagues, compassionate, modest and even sensitive fellow. A polished ego is probably a better reference to Radio National’s thundering snow-dome, but that would be a cheap shot.

The snow-dome insists “personal conviction” doesn’t taint his own work or anyone at the ABC. This is just so very silly and easily disproved.

The ABC has some great strengths – and will become more and more important in coming days as we see a rising tide of market failure engulf many traditional news outlets – but it is biased to the Left, not always but often. Very often on every conceivable issue.

CONDEMNED FROM AN EARLY AGE BY AUNTY
What mostly passes for debate on Radio National makes most ALP members I know laugh at how self-indulgent and lefty it is. When involved in student politics many moons ago and perhaps unwisely deciding to shut a contemporary art gallery because it refused to show student art, my late-teen, all-knowing chums and I were denounced as philistines and vandals of the most despicable kind. Not once, I later discovered when I did some digging, but on about ten different broadcasts. On a national network, if you don’t mind. Over one art gallery, hidden away on a second-floor of a dingy student union building. That’s how they roll. And they haven’t changed. I now know contemporary art was the best-performing asset class from that time til now, before someone points out my folly.

Even its better programmes, like the Insiders, has a token non-lefty on its panel, as if they are so abnormal or unusual they need special representation. This is despite the conservatives currently enjoying a majority of electoral support in most published polls.

Entering the ABC building in Southbank – as I occasionally do to get carved up on some show or another or to plant listening devices or some such – reminds me of entering a student union, it has a very strong lefty vibe, full of the nose-ringed, the hipster and the inner-urban leftiste. There are plenty of exceptions and plenty of good, moderate, reasonable people there. But generally the vibe is inner-city lefty. Denying it is absurd. Public broadcasting will probably always attract people like that, to be realistic about it. Pretending, or allowing them to pretend, they are apolitical, unbiased champions of truth is a fraud that ought not be allowed to continue.

1. It is dicks like green that i simply rarley ever watch aunty these days. It is a mere shadow of itself and needs to understand, it is taxpayers that pay its way and we deserve a hellava lot better than the crap they keep dishing up. If I want to hear labor spin i will listen to labor pollies who at least have the guts to stand for election unlke some at the abc.

Posted by kfr | May 9, 2013, 10:09
  2. De-fund them. That or sell it off.
    It’s not the lightweight reporting or the lefty bias that shits me it’s that I have to pay for it.

Posted by Scott | May 9, 2013, 10:21
  3. The BBC remains a left strong hold but has a high tolerance of conservatives … why can’t the ABC be more like that? Why does the ABC choose boredom over conflict? Green is not especially insightful or engaging and to my mind, he has never had a significant scoop. James Campbell had a huge scoop earlier this year leading to Red Ted’s demise … but I bet he will not win a Walkley!

Posted by wtf | May 9, 2013, 10:58
  4. Why do duckhead windbags like this arrogant shithead get heard in the first place?

You’re all piss and wind you irreleavnt guttersniping mongrel dogshit

Posted by Mike D | May 9, 2013, 17:01
  5. I’ll do the job. Not very photogenic mind you, and I usually treat all leftisms with a level of contempt incompatible with keeping an ABC job.

Posted by Another Lib Watcher | May 9, 2013, 18:32
  6. A bit like Juanita Phillips and her partner Greg Combet

Posted by Orlando | May 10, 2013, 16:35
  7. They should let us vote to eliminate ABC staff like they do on reality TV. That would trim the fat and it would be an absolute hoot to watch.

Posted by Patriot | May 11, 2013, 23:37
  8. Very good summary.

I think the fact they called the only non-luvvie show they produced “Counterpoint” makes the point very well.

And even that was too much non-bias for them as I think they axed it last year.

Posted by BloodyLanceFlashman | May 12, 2013, 7:37
  9. more wacky comment that perpetuates the notion that the ABC is a nest of Marxists. There is hardly a left-winger left in the country let alone on the ABC.

Posted by MrSensible | May 12, 2013, 15:57
  10. And anyone who thinks Tim Blair or P’J’Orourke are humorous must have had their funny bone removed.
    This is a dishonest article as it gives no examples of alleged ‘left-wing bias’. It plays to the nutters in the crowd which VexNews does too often.

Posted by MrSensible | May 12, 2013, 16:00
  11. I have 621, 1026 and 774 on my car radio. I enjoy listening to the well informed thoroughly researched information that is imparted in a way that makes me prick my ears with excitement. The ABC is clearly a portal into a parallel universe where the normal rules of supply and demand determining pricing and production and innovation and progress through self-interest do not apply. This fascinating place provides a series of completely valid deductions from axioms and theorems that do not exist in our universe inhabited by humanity. I wonder what the intelligent species that uses the ABC as its portal to our world really looks like when you remove the humanoid skeletal structure and skin moulding.

These deep thoughts keep me alert on long trips and I arrive refreshed and energised by the high level cerebral interaction with these alien life forms.

It was really reassuring to me in my youth that these visitors from another dimension not only held certain menial offices in student unions but occupied a multi-billion dollar juggernaut with global reach which they had inhabited as the central host from which all command and control activities could be communicated.

Posted by Giuseppe De Simone | May 12, 2013, 19:42
  12. I can imagine the application form for jobs at the Anti-Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

1. Do you despise poor white people?

2. Do you despise masculinity?

3. Do you get angry when you see a poor, white, working class person being able to afford petrol and air conditioning?

4. Do you think the interests of the UN outweigh those of Australia?

5. Do you believe that we should aim to breed out the bogan locals through mass immigration?

6. Do you believe that Australia should be run by ‘experts’ rather than ordinary citizens?

7. Are you an Internationalist Socialist?

Posted by Bob | May 13, 2013, 13:43
  13. Hey little girl do you want to feel my ‘extra leg’?

Posted by Rolf Harris | May 13, 2013, 18:02
  14. 8. Are you now or have you ever been sceptical of AGW?

Posted by Patriot | May 13, 2013, 21:51
  15. 9. Does your face look like a scrotum?

Posted by Don't you know who I am? | May 13, 2013, 23:41
  16. 10. Are you a obective journalist or an activist?

Posted by Franny wants your fanny | May 13, 2013, 23:45
  17. objective

Posted by Mark Scott wants your bott | May 13, 2013, 23:49
  18. ahhh yes the Left who tell us racists can only be white men…..

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2013, 0:12
  19. 11. Do you believe that all current and past world problems have been caused by white males, particularly Anglo Saxon ones.

Posted by David | May 14, 2013, 15:07
  20. When are they going to get that manikin Julia Baird to stop hosting the Drum?
    Furthermore, Leanore Taylor is a bruja

Posted by Bear Bum | May 15, 2013, 9:41
  21. I see that Gillard was interviewed by a 9 year old on B1.05 this morning.
    Is this:
    1 the continuing infantilization of the political debate?
    2 Gillards inability or unwillingness to face grownups and their questions?
    3 Labor once again using children as props and hiding behind human kiddie shields?
    4 All of the above?

Posted by Scott | May 15, 2013, 15:20
  22. I’ve just about had enough of the ABC spending my tax $$ on sneering, self indulgent shits like Jonathon Green.

Posted by piv | May 17, 2013, 17:39
  23. By the way any lads want to meet me in a public latrine to dog?

Posted by piv | May 17, 2013, 21:56
  24. Better programes- like Insiders” ? huh!.Thats a brain snap, as the wizzened Barrie Cassidy, footy mate of bogan Tim Matheson, and the other old farts push the ALP spin unashamedily. The management flouts their Charter and should be subject to an independant inquiry— Until then-switch off.

Posted by Old Cobber | May 20, 2013, 20:00
  25. fake piv 17 May 21.56 – Am I detecting you are homophobic?

Posted by Piv | May 21, 2013, 12:01