Reading plays a great role in our life as it helps us to spark our creativity, grow our understanding of complex problems, as well as grow intellectually. But there are many people in the world who cannot read due to their busy work life. According to Matthew Davies, even reading for just 1 hour every day can allow you to gain immense knowledge. Thus, you must learn how to free up some time to read more.
Here are some ways you can free up time to read more:
- Borrow more books than your capacity to read – Thereare many people who borrow books from the library and if you are such a person, then it is always better to borrow more books than what you would actually be able to read. This is because when you have physical books piled up in your house that need to be returned, the psychological pressure would force you to read more than what you have planned to read initially. In case you are a digital reader, then it is recommended to download a lot of eBooks.
- Set a goal per reading session – There are many people who cannot read big chunks of text at a time. Such a person should set a particular reading goal per reading session. You need to set a particular goal in your mind. For example, you can make a goal of reading 50 pages before you put your book aside and stick to your decision.
Every time you sit down to read, you should set the bar a little higher and, in this way,, you will be able to read more books than you normally could.
- Practice speed reading – You can read more books if you can read more in a short time and for that, you have to teach yourself to read faster. There are various techniques for speed reading, for example, you can try to read a group of words instead of reading every word individually.
- Read digitally across all mobile devices – There are some people who like to read digitally instead of reading physical books. If you also like to read digitally, then it is very important for you to have a reader app on all mobile devices. This way, you can take some time to read whenever you are on a break for a few minutes.
- Read before you go to bed – Many people enjoy reading fiction or non-fiction at night before they go to bed. Reading before falling asleep is actually a proven method to relax and it also helps you to prepare for a good night’s sleep. Apart from that, you can also follow a habit of reading a few pages in the morning before doing any other work.
According to Matthew Davies, you should always try to read in an environment that is free of distractions. This would help you to read more efficiently as you won’t be distracted or waste time.