The shaft coupling is the mechanical device that helps to connect two shafts. It is done to achieve a greater length that can transmit power efficiently. Even though the primary function of the shaft is to transmit power, it can also enable the degree of missalignment and end movements. One cannot use the shaft for a longer duration as it can cause the convenience of transportation.
Why Should You Use Shaft Coupling
In machinery, the EK shaft coupling bearing (ลูกปืนจับยึดปลายเพลา EK, which is the term in Thai) can be used for numerous purposes. Some of the most common purpose includes:
- One of the primary purposes of shaft coupling in industry and factories is to connect the shaft unit. Generally, these units are manufactured separately which helps to transfer power from one particular end to another end of the shaft.
- It enables the disconnecting of the shafts that are present in pieces of machinery. During the alteration and repair work, you can easily disconnect the shaft conveniently.
- One can alter the vibration characteristics that each of these rotating parts experiences.
- As you utilize the shaft coupling bearing, it helps to reduce the transmission shock. Generally, when you are connecting one shaft with another, they happen to be high transmission shocks.
- You can receive mechanical flexibility along with some degree of Miss alignment in the shaft.
- The best part is that the utilization of soft coupling helps protect the overloading of the machine by slip.
What Are The Requirements Of Shaft Coupling
Here are some of the essential requirements of shaft coupling.
- The coupling should be easy to connect and disconnect.
- You can provide a perfect alignment to the different shafts that you connect.
- The coupling wearing must not contain any projecting parts.
- One must pay attention to the nil power loss during transmission. There must be full power transmission from one to another.
- You must reduce the transmission of shock loads when you connect one shaft to another.
The shaft coupling comes in two categories, including rigid coupling and flexible. You can use the rigid shaft coupling to connect any two perfectly aligned shafts, including the clamp or split muff coupling, beam coupling, and flange coupling. Moreover, one can utilize the flexible coupling to connect shafts, having horizontal and lateral misalignment. The best part is that these couplings can also be used for vibration damping. Some of the flexible couplings include jaw coupling, universal coupling, and Oldham coupling.