What to do if you notice a gas leak in your home
Of all the residential, commercial, and industrial places in the US, 73 million of them use natural gas – according to the American Gas Association. While natural gas is great to use for cooking and washing clothes, it can be very dangerous as it is highly flammable.
What should you do if you notice gas leaking?
If your home or commercial property is one that of the 73 million using natural gas, it’s important you know what to do should you notice a gas leak.
First, evacuate the property immediately. If there are other people on the property, get them to evacuate as well.
Next, contact your local fire department and have them come out to the property to inspect and ensure an explosion is not going to happen. They’ll have the proper tools to fix any leak and may advise you to vacate the premises for 48 or more hours until the gas has fully left the property.
How to tell if there is a gas leak
- Gas is clear and you can’t see it but you may be able to recognize other signs such as:
- The smell of rotten eggs
- A whistling sound near your stove or any gas lines entering your home
- Houseplants that keep dying even with your proper care
- Bubbles in water
- Any white cloud or damage near a gas pipe
If any of these signs are present, it’s important you vacate the premises and get help from a professional.
Should you come in contact with a gas leak, you may experience these signs:
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Breathing issues or difficulty
- Ringing in your ears
- Pain in your chest
Inhaling gas can be fatal and should not be messed with. Contact a professional immediately if you think your home or commercial property may have a gas leak.